El Pescador is excited to announce our reopening on August 15!
We hope to see you soon!
Thank you for your continued support, friendship and patience during this pandemic. We miss everyone being together at the lodge - sharing stories and enjoying the flats. While this time of forced separation has been difficult for all of us, we certainly want to uphold our part and come through for our valued guests and friends. One of the beautiful outcomes of this crisis has been the extreme thoughtfulness and generosity of you, our guests; many of whom have reached out to inquire how to help our staff and guides. We are grateful for your concern. Please keep sending us thoughtful messages. They are rays of sunshine during these dark days.
As we all deal with these challengers in our own way, El Pescador appreciates that a bit of flexibility can help. Therefore, we are offering a cancellation guarantee on new reservations to protect your future investment against COVID-19. If your new trip needs to be canceled due to ongoing COVID-19 issues, we will refund the full amount of your payment(s)! This FREE CANCELATION* guarantee is valid for new 2020 and 2021 trips that are confirmed between May 11th - December 31st, 2020. Valid reasons covered by this FREE CANCELATION* guarantee are:
- Border closures prohibiting non-residents travel in /out of BZE
- Mandatory quarantine upon arrival in Belize
Please note that standard cancellation reasons are not covered under the terms of the above FREE CANCELATION* guarantee, and our regular terms will apply. They can and should be covered with a standard trip insurance policy or a more comprehensive “Cancel For Any Reason” insurance policy. These reasons would include:
- Cancellation due to work reasons
- Sickness, illness (including covid-19 virus) or injury of yourself, a family member or a travel partner
- Weather and hurricane events
- Trip interruption or cancellation due to severe or unsafe weather
- Flight delays and/or missed connections
Destination angling and international adventures have always been about so much more than simply catching fish. Travel is about connecting people and places, and never has this been more important. We are looking forward to having you safely return to the lodge when Belize reopens the international airport on August 15, 2020. We miss you very much and like you, we are desperate to get back on the water! One silver lining is that our fishery and flats are having a chance to rest and get stronger while everyone is at home. Since Belize has so few cases of coronavirus (under 50 as of mid-July), we are ready to welcome you with open arms. The Government has developed protocols to keep our visitors and citizens safe for the reopening of the international airport on August 15. All passengers are encouraged to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of traveling to Belize (i.e., your first flight). Belize is also requiring all arrivals to download the Belize Health App and complete the required information prior to boarding the flight to Belize.
El Pescador is seeking endorsement in Belize’s "Tourism Gold Standard" Recognition Program for hotels, restaurants and tour operators. This 9-point program seeks to enhance the tourism industry's health and safety standards by adapting new behaviors and procedures to ensure both employees and travelers are confident in the cleanliness and safety of Belize's tourism product. Some of these new standards include:
- Social distancing and the use of face masks while in public spaces
- Online check-in/out, contactless payment systems, and automated ordering/booking systems
- Hand sanitizing stations across the property
- Enhanced room cleaning and increase sanitization of public spaces and high touch surfaces
- Daily health checks for guests and employees
- Designated 'Isolation/Quarantine rooms' for suspected Covid-19 cases and action plans for handling suspected employees or guests.
Belize’s tourism industry will re-open responsibly, to test new entry protocols, and to allow for adjustments as necessary to ensure the wellbeing of Belizeans and visitors. As the country re-opens for travel, Belize wants to assure travelers and residents that hotels and restaurants will be cleaner and safer than ever before.
The Travel Journey
Travelers to Belize will be comforted to know that based on proper management and containment efforts applied during the height of the pandemic, Belize was able to enjoy over 50 days of a Covid-19 free environment. Ongoing efforts will offer vacation opportunities with minimal risk of contracting Covid-19 while in Belize. In addition, with Belize having such low population density and being just a short flight away from most major US cities, the destination is well poised for post-Covid-19 travel.
All travelers to Belize will be required to adhere to health and safety measures implemented by the Government of Belize (GOB) including social distancing, hand sanitization, proper hygiene and the wearing of face masks in public spaces.
- All passengers travelling to Belize will be required to download the Belize Health App and complete the required information prior to boarding the flight to Belize. A QR code with a unique ID number will be returned to the passenger, and will be used for contact tracing while in Belize.
- Passengers are encouraged to take a Covid-19 PCR test within 72 hours of travel to Belize (of your originating flight).
- Passengers that provide certification of a negative test result from a Covid-19 PCR test done within 72 hours of originating travel, will be allowed immediate entry into Belize via a 'fast track' lane.
- Passengers that do not provide a negative Covid-19 test, must test upon arrival in Belize, at the passenger's expense. A negative test result will allow entry into Belize. A positive result will require mandatory quarantine for a minimum period of fourteen (14) days at the passenger's expense.
All visitors to Belize will be required to:
- Wear a mask during the entire landing, deplaning and arrival process, and while inside the airport.
- Undergo temperature checks using non-contact digital infrared thermometers or Thermal Imaging Cameras.
- Adhere to social distancing guidelines in all queues for health checks, immigration and customs inspections.
- Follow and respond to the comprehensive, pro-active, contact tracing guidelines to facilitate appropriate and rapid response from health officials, should Covid-19 symptoms develop.
- Utilize the sanitizing stations to sanitize hands frequently and facilitate other health screening requirements on arrival.
At the Airport
The Philip Goldson International Airport (PGIA) has implemented enhanced cleaning and sanitization protocols. These include:
- installation of barriers and sneeze guards between passengers and Immigration & Customs officers;
- hand sanitizing stations throughout the terminal building to assist with proper hand hygiene;
- floor markers placed 6 feet apart to promote social distancing and assist passengers in the queuing process;
- sanitization of passenger luggage prior to transfer into the terminal building.
Residents and visitors departing from Belize will also see new enhanced health and safety measures implemented. Some of these new measures include:
- limiting entry into the terminal building to only ticketed passengers;
- mandatory use of face masks at all times while in the terminal building;
- safety barriers installed at check-in counters and the Immigration area; and
- social distancing to protect passengers.
Preparation for the return of visitation via land borders and cruising are still underway and re-opening plans will be announced at a later date. The Government of Belize, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Tourism & Civil Aviation, and the Belize Tourism Board (BTB) continue to actively monitor this very fluid situation.
For the official Government Press Release please click here.
To access the detailed health and safety protocols, we invite you to visit: https://belizetourismboard.org/belize-covid-19-update-for-travellers/.
For questions or concerns,contact the Belize Tourism Board at email@example.com
We miss you and hope to see you on August 15th!